Tuesday, August 18, 2009

I'm going shooting this afternoon, as soon as I finish typing this.

I'm really pretty good. Last summer, I joined a shooting contest at the range I go to and came in right in the middle. It was a 10 week contest shooting 50 rounds per week.

Coming in right in the middle is a little misleading. Only serious shooters who come out at least once per week join up.

The first time I competed was 6 months or so after I started shooting regularly. That time, it was in the winter, rather than the summer, and there were more shooters. Nevertheless, I shot next to last. I wasn't the worst, but right next to it. I've improved a lot since then. The next time I join up, I hope to move up a little more.

I have 2 pistols I shoot regularly. The main one is a .22 automatic. I fire 250 rounds per week at 25, 15 and 10 yards. My other pistol is a .38/.357. I shoot this a little less often.

The .38 doubles as household protection. I keep it loaded in a quick unlock box in the house, (no kids), and it has a laser sight targeted for 7 yards. It is VERY accurate. I use ammunition designed to NOT penetrate walls. I've got neighbors.

I'm actually looking to purchase two more pistols. I have a 2 floor house and want the other floor covered as well. I've spoken to several people and am looking to buy a .40 caliber automatic. With laser sighting, of course.

The last one will be a carry pistol. I live in New Jersey and for those of you who don't know, I won't be able to carry in this state. It's not exactly forbidden, but it's very strictly regulated and I just don't have a good reason. Self-protection is obviously not a good reason. I do, however, have a non-resident carry permit from one state and am waiting for one from another. Once I have both, I'll be licensed to carry in about 30 other states.

I'm not sure what to get for a carry pistol, although it will probably also be a .40 caliber automatic. I want it to have stopping power while not being too big, and a friend told me that some .40's fit the bill. No rush, since I can't carry anyway. I'm going to take my time and find the right pistol.

I guess the reason I'm doing this right now is the Obama administration. While I don't think they'll succeed in outlawing pistols entirely, they will certainly try to make everything more difficult. So I decided to get things done now. A lot of other people apparently feel the same way. The Obama administration is the best thing to ever happen to gun and ammunition sales.

- - - - -

People are afraid of the future, of the unknown. If a man faces up to it, and takes the dare of the future, he can have some control over his destiny. - John Glenn, Astronaut, US Senator

No comments:

Post a Comment