Tuesday, August 25, 2009

NRA Convention

I've been a member of the NRA since I started shooting regularly a few of years ago.

When I bought my first pistols, one of the manufacturers must have sent my name to NRA or something, because shortly afterward, I heard from them. Then again, the man who owns the gunstore and range where I shoot is on the NRA board, so maybe he put my name in. It really doesn't matter, because I was interested anyway.

I becamme a regular member of the NRA, and started reading their magazines. However, I really didn't think too much else about it.

Last year, the second year I was a member, they had their convention in Louisville. I've never been to Louisville, or Kentucky for that matter, and it was in driving distance, so I decided to go.

It blew me away.

I made my reservations late, so I missed the first day, but even though it's enormous, and even though I spent an hour in the members meeting, I got through it in one (very long) day. The member's meeting is actually longer than an hour, but I didn't even know about it and when I stumbled on it, it was half over.

The rest of the day, I spent walking the aisles. I'm primarily a pistol shooter now, so I didn't look too hard at the rest of the exhibitors. And I wasn't looking to buy anything then, so it was very casual.

Nevertheless, the scope of the offerings there was amazing to a first timer like me. In addition to pistols, rifles and shotguns, which is what you'd expect, they had and enormous number of exhibitors. They specialized in ammunition, reloading equipment and supplies, holsters and other equipment and apparel, used weapons, knives, telescopes and telescopic lenses, clothing, holsters, flashlights, laser sights and a number of other things. There was also a row of travel sites and another row of historical sites.

I was so impressed, that I made my reservations in December for the convention this year. It was in Phoenix. I flew out and didn't rent a car. I was trying to do it on a budget and largely succeeded.

I was there all 3 days of the convention and planned to spend 2 of them in the convention site. Part of that time was 2 different meetings on the first two days. The rest of the time was spent on the floor again. This time, I was actually looking at pistols I might want to buy and spent some time talking to the salesmen of several manufacturers.

I left the third day to travel Phoenix, but since I didn't have a car, I didn't really see as much as I'd hoped.

The NRA is growing seriously lately. You could see it at the convention. At least one area of the economy that the president has been good for is weapon and ammunition manufacturers. It's still tough to get some types of ammunition. And I for one upgraded to an NRA Life Membership shortly after the election.

The next convention is in Charlotte, North Carolina next May. I've already made my hotel reservations.

- - - - -

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both. - Dwight Eisenhower

No comments:

Post a Comment