Friday, September 4, 2009

I've never carried a concealed weapon in my life, but I subscribe to Concealed Carry magazine.

One of the things Obama's election has done to me is make me more aware of things I took for granted. They could be taken away very fast, now, if the president and his people get what they want.

One of those things has to do with my pistols. I only have 2 pistols now. I've had them for a few years and wasn't planning on buying any more for a while. However, after the election, I realized that it could become much harder to purchase pistols in the near future. I decided that if I wanted them at all, I better get them now. I've recently gotten 2 permits to purchase handguns, which is what you do in New Jersey.

Apparently, a million other people felt the same, or so it seems. I've read recently that things are starting to calm down. Pistols, rifles and shotguns are getting easier to buy and ammunition, which was a real problem in some calibers, is also becoming more available.

I've also applied for concealed carry permits from two east coast states. I learned about out of state carry permits in Concealed Carry magazine. One of it's writers owns a gun shop in Philadelphia and mentioned classes he conducts for out of state carry permits.

I signed up the day after I saw it. It was conducted at a pistol range so that they could take care of all requirements, not only the class. I was fingerprinted, photographed, fired a pistol and had forms notarized. I sent them in a couple of days later. I've received one and am waiting for the second.

Since I live in New Jersey, the permits will not do me any good in my home state. But hopefully, I won't be in New Jersey forever. A couple of other problems include very high taxes and the fact that they want to put a high-speed commuter train directly behind my house.

Despite this, I subscribed to Concealed Carry as soon as I heard about it. Even before Obama. It is a good magazine and covers a variety of topics, from pistols, holsters and training to politics and the law. They also have an online website with forums that can help people in a lot of different areas. I've never used the forums but will probably do so soon. I haven't gotten much help from the local gun shop regarding a carry pistol. They've tried to talk me into a small revolver that you carry in your pocket. I'd like something larger that I'd carry in a holster.

I'm hoping I can get some advice on the forums. I just hope there isn't so much that it contradicts itself. I'll let you know.

- - - - -

Keep away from people who try to belittle your ambitions. Small people will always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

No comments:

Post a Comment