Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Politics

As far as politics goes, I'm pretty conservative, I guess.

It's probably because I'm getting older. When I was young, I was much more liberal. I voted for Jimmy Carter and once almost got to meet him. I worked for a large company in downtown Philadelphia and had a group of friends I used to go out to lunch with on Fridays. They went out virtually every day, but I couldn't afford it. One day, I had to call one of them about something and before hanging up, she asked me if I wanted to join them for lunch that day. I thought about it but wound up not going. That was the day that Jimmy Carter had lunch at the place we always ate.

He was President then and running for re-election. I was very disappointed when they came back and said they met him. He was apparently very personable and went around saying hello to everyone there. Now I look back on it with mixed feelings. I still would have liked to meet him but I'm not quite so broken up about it.

I guess I really became a republican when Ronald Reagan was President. I'm not going to go into detail about all of the things I liked, but I think he was a great man and there hasn't been anyone like him since.

I didn't have much use for Bill Clinton and feel pretty much the same about his wife. George Bush got interrupted almost before he started by 9/11. I wonder what his presidency would have been like if not for that, but I'm not sure I would have liked it. In the end, he was spending money like it was his, and he spent way too much, as far as I'm concerned. However, he was honorable and decisive after 9/11 and that counts for a lot.

While I'm not as conservative as some, compared to the Democrats today, I'm conservative. The current president hasn't done much of anything that I like, as far as I'm concerned. I'm apparently not alone. His popularity is fading already. I don't believe that he's going to get his health care
changes passed, I don't believe that after 2010, he'll still have his super-majority in Congress, and I don't believe he'll be re-elected.

I hope I'm right.

- - - - -

Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn’t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children’s children what it was once like in the United States when men were free. - Ronald Reagan

No comments:

Post a Comment