Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wal-Mart

I applied for a job at Wal-Mart today.

I'm looking for a job over the holidays to help pay for a new pair of hearing aids. For those who don't know, good ones will cost a couple of thousand dollars apiece. The last pair I bought several years ago cost about $4,000, and insurance didn't cover it.

I'm a retired computer programmer but I'm not looking to get back into programming. I would just be getting up to speed by Christmas, (although it would pay better.) I've been retired for 3 years and am not looking to get back into that grind. I'm just looking for help paying for the next set of hearing aids.

I chose Wal-Mart because I shop there. Two new Wal-Marts opened near me in the past year, and the one I applied to is the one that I go to. Another reason is that they have so many people that I figured I'd have a better chance. The third reason is that I've seen a higher percentage of people there that are my age or greater. No sense applying to a place that doesn't hire us old folk.

Besides, I like Wal-Mart. They have virtually everything that I use. They have a gardening section where my wife and I go in the spring and summer. They have a very large grocery section, where I shop. And they have sections that sell virtually everything else you would need for your house. The grocery section includes fresh meat, produce, a bakery and cold cuts. The only time I ever had to go to another store was for veal. They don't have veal or pork. And when I've needed assistance, I've never spoken to anyone there that wasnt't friendly and helpful.

I know that I'm not going to get rich working for Wal-Mart. If I get a job there, it's only going to be for a few months and probably won't pay for the full cost of the hearing aids, after taxes. Even if I get a full time job, I probably won't be there long enough to get any medical insurance. That's fine too. I am on my wife's policy where she works. But I'm in good shape for my age, exercise regularly and have time to spare. So we'll see.

I'll probably also apply at the Target that's near my house and maybe a few places at the local mall. Anybody that hires us retired folk.

Anybody have any other ideas?

- - - - -

In looking for people to hire, you look for three qualities: integrity, intelligence and energy. And if they don’t have the first, the other two will kill you. - Warren Buffet

No comments:

Post a Comment